Instructions on preparing for your Patency Test with Agile™ Patency Capsule
Your physician has determined that as part of your medical evaluation you should undergo a Patency Test with the Agile patency capsule. This procedure involves ingesting a dissolvable capsule. If the capsule leaves the body before it dissolves, this confirms that your GI tract is passable or “patent” for an object the size of the capsule.
The Agile patency capsule consists of dissolvable components, surrounding a tiny Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tag that can be detected by X-ray or the Agile patency scanner. The capsule starts to dissolve about 30 hours after ingestion. You will be instructed to return to your physician’s office close to but no later than 30 hours afer ingesting the capsule to test whether the capsule is still present in your body. If the capsule is not detected, implying that it has been excreted whole, this means your GI tract is patent. However, it is common that patients retain the capsule for more than 30 hours.
If the capsule is retained for more than 30 hours, it will then dissolve into small pieces that can pass naturally through your GI tract. However, in case you have a narrowing of the small bowel, the capsule can get stuck at that point and lead to bowel obstruction. If the capsule takes time to disintegrate, you may need to be admitted to the hospital for management of your symptoms and you may even require surgical procedures to resolve the issue.
To enable your physician to get the most accurate information from this test, read this document carefully and follow the instructions.
During the Week Prior to the Patency Test with Agile Patency Capsule:
- Make note of the frequency of your bowel movements. Do you have a bowel movement at least once a day? Once every two days? Once every three or more days?
- Make note of any irregularity in your bowel movements during the week prior to examination.
- Prepare a list of all medications you are currently taking.
- After lunch on the day before the test, start a liquid diet as prescribed by your physician. After 10:00 p.m., do not eat or drink except for necessary medication with a sip of water.
Day of Patency Test with Agile Patency Capsule:
At your physician’s office, you will have a pre-procedure interview. You will be asked to give your informed consent and another appointment will be made to check capsule presence. Stop taking any medication two hours before the test, unless your doctor advises otherwise.
After Ingesting the Agile Patency Capsule:
- After ingestion, do not eat or drink for two hours. Four hours after ingestion, you may have a light snack. After this you may continue your normal diet.
- During the test, record the frequency of your daily bowel movements in the Bowel Movement Activity Form. Return it completed to your physician at your next appointment.
- If you suffer from any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting during the patency test with Agile patency capsule, contact your physician immediately.
- After ingesting the Agile patency capsule and until it leaves your body, avoid being near any source of powerful electromagnetic fields such as one created near an MRI device.
Your next appointment is scheduled for close to 30 hours after ingestion. Your physician will test for absence of the AGILE patency capsule in your body with the AGILE patency scanner or with X-rays. This will either confirm the patency of your GI tract or the presence of the capsule. The test is complete at your physician’s discretion.
After Completing the Patency Test with Agile Patency Capsule:
- The physician will discuss with you the outcome of the test and further course of action.
- In case the capsule is retained in your body, the physician may recommend additional tests to verify capsule location and tracking.